Jump To Navigation
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • youTube
  • Univision Radio listen to us Click for radio show times

Radio Program

Listen to our live radio show Your Key to Immigration Solutions in Spanish every Sunday from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM on La Jefa 107.9 FM or tune-in online at http://lajefadallas.univision.com/

Escuche y llame a nuestro programa de radio La Llave Para Soluciones Migratorias en Español todos los domingos de 09:00 AM a 10:00 AM en La Jefa 107.9 FM o sintoniza en línea en http://lajefadallas.univision.com/

B-1/B-2 Visitor, F-1 Student and Other Visas

B-1 Business Visitor

Business visitors may be admitted for the purpose of engaging in business, but not for the purpose of being employed for financial gain while in the U.S.

Business activities that are not employment are permitted. Such activities include, but are not limited to:

  • Attending conventions, conferences, and other business-related meetings
  • Engaging in commercial transactions that do not involve gainful employment
  • Consulting with business associates
  • Procuring goods, components, or raw materials for use outside the U.S.
  • Participating in litigation

B-2 Tourist

A visitor for pleasure, or tourist, may enter the U.S. with a B-2 visa if he or she will temporarily visit the U.S. for legitimate activities of a recreational character, including but not limited to: tourism; amusement; visits with friends or relatives; medical treatment and social events.

F-1 Student

A person seeking a full course of study at a designated school may receive a visa. The spouse and children (under 21 years of age) of a student may be granted lawful status in the U.S. (F-2 visa).

In some cases, work authorization is available for students:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - This type of employment is part of the student's school curriculum which may include internships, cooperative education, and any other type of program offered by employers in association with the school.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) - OPT is a type of employment related to the student's major field of study. It is available during the course of study, while on school vacation, and after completion of all degree course requirements or entire course of study.
  • On-Campus Employment - This type of employment allows the student to work on campus part-time (not exceeding 20 hours per week).
  • Severe Economic Hardship - In some cases, if a student can show severe economic hardship due to unforeseeable circumstances beyond the student's control, then employment could be available if they are in good academic standing, continue to carry a full-time course load, and show that on-campus employment is not available or insufficient.

Prior to seeking employment as a student, it is highly recommended that the student first consult with the designated school advisor.

If the student is not complying with the school's curriculum, or is engaged in unauthorized work, it is important to seek legal advice right away. Such acts can ruin the possibility of attaining immigration benefits in the future and puts the student at risk of deportation. In some instances, it is possible to reinstate the student's status to avoid deportation.

  • "Dear Mr. Valko,
    I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU for working with me and resolving my problem with changing of my F-1 nonimmigrant status. As you know my family had to overcome a lot of difficulties which were increased by two previous denial decisions on my case. I felt frustrated and hopeless. But your skillfulness and motivation reassured me in high probability of positive outcome, even if sometimes the situation looked unfavorable to me. You requested a humanitarian expedited processing in my case and stayed in touch with USCIS until the change of status was approved literally 20 minutes before my school deadline.Thanks to your ability to overcome those obstacles I've received an approval decision.

    I want to thank you for all the work that you performed for me preparing all the supporting documents perfectly. In my opinion, you were able to select and summarize in the best possible way all the documentation we provided, presenting it in the most favorable light. Thank you for the persistently professional and dedicated service you and your team provided in the process of me obtaining the change of my nonimmigrant status.

    My special thanks to your paralegal Anya Schendeler who showing her adequate response, efficiency and responsibility always made very clear and easy to understand what you needed from me, for when, and most importantly why. She forwarded me your answers to every single question I had in a timely manner with patience and compassion.
    I really appreciated all your attention and dedication on my case. I am glad that our relations were based on mutual trust, understanding and respect. I would strongly recommend your services to anyone for any immigration matters.

    Sincerely, Natalia M."
    - Tyler, TX (Change of Status to F-1 with F-2 dependent with previous denials and deferred action)

M-1 Vocational Students

A person seeking a full course of study at an approved vocational institution may receive a visa. The spouse and unmarried children are granted lawful status (M-2).

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding immigration law, including questions relating to naturalization, deportation, permanent visas, working in the United States, traveling abroad or employer compliance, please contact our law firm to schedule an in-person, telephonic or video consultation regardless of your location within the United States or anywhere in the World.

We speak Spanish , Slovak, and Czech, accept credit cards, and provide initial consultations with an attorney for a low fee. To contact us, call 214-251-8011 (Dallas, TX), 817-332-1100 (Fort Worth, TX), 225-291-2155 (Baton Rouge, LA), or toll-free 1-888-562-0398 (nationwide).

* The information on this website should not be construed as legal advice. Use of information on this site does not form an attorney-client relationship. Fully licensed by the Texas Supreme Court.

** Louisiana Office - not licensed to practice law or represent clients in matters of State Law in Louisiana; but Authorized by Federal Law to advise and represent clients in Immigration Matters in Louisiana and throughout the United States. Practice is limited to Immigration Law.

  • "I would like to thank Mr Chavez and Jazmin Rosales for all the time and patience you spend on my case for the Deffered Action... After a long journey and once being denied back in 2004 due to previous..."
  • "We are extremely thankful to immigration attorney Mr. Martin Valko and his paralegal Cielo Pineda of Chavez & Valko LLP for their professionalism, knowledge, care and dedication in my husband's..."
  • "We would like to thank the attorneys of Chavez & Valko. We are happy with their work, especially with attorneys Nick Chavez and Gary Frost, in the process of bringing my husband from Mexico after..."

Contact Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pay Your Invoice with LawPay

latest on facebook

latest on twitter