Your Key to Immigration Solutions
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Business Immigration
  4.  » EB-1 Visa

EB-1 Extraordinary Ability & Manager/Executive

What is an EB-1 visa?

EB-1 visas are available for nonimmigrants applicants who demonstrate extraordinary ability, are outstanding professors and researchers or are certain multinational executives or managers.

  1. Workers of Extraordinary Ability in the Sciences, Arts, Education, Business, or Athletics
    • A level of expertise that places the applicant at the top of his/her field as shown by national or international acclaim.
    • The applicant must continue to work in the field of expertise.
    • The admission of the applicant must continue to benefit the U.S.
  2. Outstanding Professors and Researchers
    • Recognized internationally as an outstanding teacher or researcher in a specific academic area as evidenced by specific documentation.
    • Applicant has at least 3 years of experience in teaching or research in the academic area and has a prospective job with an approved institution of higher learning or private employer.
  3. Certain Transferring Multinational Executives and Managers
    • Employed by an entity that is related to the entity abroad where the applicant worked as a manager or executive for at least one year during the last 3 years preceding admission.
    • Petitioner (employer) must be a U.S. employer doing business in the U.S. for at least one year.
    • Petitioner must be offering the applicant a job in an executive or managerial capacity.
    • The employment abroad was with the same petitioner or a parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the petitioner.

Applying for an EB-1 visa

To obtain EB-1 visa for Extraordinary Ability you may file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers, yourself. For the other categories, the U.S. employer must file the Form I-140.

Can my family accompany me?

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may be eligible to apply for admission to the U.S. under an E-14 or E-15 immigrant status.

Please note that the EB-1 visa is often compared to the O-1 visa and could cause some confusion. The most significant difference between the two visas is that the EB-1 provides permanent residency, while the O-1 only allows temporary residence. O-1 visa holders also require a sponsor to apply for a green card after several years in the United States.

For more information about the EB-1 visa, give us a call at 214-251-8011 (Dallas, TX) or 817-332-1100 (Fort Worth, TX), or schedule your next appointment online here.