Your Key to Immigration Solutions
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Business Immigration
  4.  » P-1 Visa Sports, Artists, Entertainment

P-1 Visa – Sports, Artists, and Entertainment

What is a P-1 visa?

The P visa classification, which includes the P-1, P-2, and P-3 visas, is a temporary visa that allows internationally recognized athletes, artists, and entertainers to perform in the United States and teach and coach. Qualification differs between the three classifications, but generally, the key features of a P visa are:

  • They require a sponsor
  • They can be issued relatively quickly
  • They can be issued for up to a year, with P-1 having am initial period of up to 5 years
  • Able to travel in and out of the U.S. as long as the visa and status are valid

Applying for a P visa

The U.S. employer, agent, or sponsor must submit Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, on behalf of the individual.

Period of Stay

The first initial period of stay is based on the time needed to complete the event, competition, or performance, or up to one year. Extensions are available in increments of up to one year as well.

The P-1 visa allows up to an initial stay of five (5) years, with one additional extension of five (5) years for a total of a maximum of ten (10) years.

Can my family accompany me?

Spouses and children under the age of 21 are permitted to reside in the U.S. under a P-4 classification but cannot accept employment. They may, however, attend school or college.

If you are an athlete, artist, musician or other performer and have questions on how to enter the U.S. or leave the U.S. to perform abroad give us a call at 214-251-8011 (Dallas, TX) or 817-332-1100 (Fort Worth, TX), or schedule your next appointment online here.