Your Key to Immigration Solutions
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Business Immigration
  4.  » H-3 Visa – Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers

H-3 Visa – Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor

What is an H-3 visa?

The H-3 classification provides noncitizens job-related training for work that will be performed outside the United States. It allows them to enter the U.S. as one of two categories temporarily:

  • Trainee: Receiving training in any field of endeavor, excluding graduate medical education or training.
  • Special Education Exchange Visitor: Participant in a special education exchange visitor training program that provides training and experience in the education of children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.

Applying for an H-3 visa

To obtain H-3 classification, both U.S. employers and organizations must:

  • Read the instructions for Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.
  • Complete and sign I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker;
  • Pay filing fee(s), if applicable; and,
  • Provide all necessary evidence and supporting documentation.

Period of Stay

Trainees on an H-3 classification may stay in the U.S. for two (2) years. A special education visitor can remain in the U.S. for up to 18 months.

Can my family accompany me?

You may bring your spouse and unmarried children under 21 to live with you on an H-4 visa. Family members are not allowed to work while in H-4 status.

For more information about H-3 visas, give us a call at 214-251-8011 (Dallas, TX) or 817-332-1100 (Fort Worth, TX), or schedule your next appointment online here.