Your Key to Immigration Solutions
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

We believe all American citizens and residents deserve to be with their fiancé(e) or spouse. If you have encountered difficulties in helping your fiancé(e) or spouse enter or remain in the U.S., or have questions on how to begin the process, the fiancé(e) immigration law firm of Chavez & Valko can help.

What Is A K-1 Fiancées Visa?

The K-1 Fiancé(e) allows U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancé(e) to the U.S. to get married. To be eligible for the Fiancé(e) visa, you must show the following:

  • You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival to the U.S. on a K-1 visa.
  • You and your fiancé(e) are both legally available to marry one another (must not be in another marriage, and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated)
  • You and your fiancé(e) must have met in person two (2) years before filing the petition unless extreme hardship would result to the petitioner, or cultural/social practice precludes such arrangement.

K-2 Children of Fiancées

It’s not uncommon for a fiancé(e) to also have children that must immigrate with their parents. The K-2 visa allows children, under 21 years of age and unmarried, of the foreign fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa.

K-3 Spouse of U.S. Citizen

The K-3 nonimmigrant visa category allows spouses of U.S. citizens to enter the U.S. while their alien relative (I-130) petitions are pending.

V Family Relative

The V nonimmigrant visa category allows spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents to stay and work in the U.S. while their alien relative petitions are pending. To qualify, the alien relative petition must have been filed on or before December 21, 2000.

Errors in applying for a fiancé visa can delay your case for months and possibly years. We can help you at any step in the process, whether your petition is pending, or the case is already at the Consulate abroad. If you are a Legal Permanent Resident, we can assist you in applying for citizenship so that you can petition your fiancé(e). At Chavez and Valko, we can:

  • Review your case individually to determine eligibility for a fiancé(e) visa.
  • Assess potential challenges.
  • Prepare and file required forms and supporting documents.
  • Monitor your case and address any requests for information by the government.
  • Keep you informed with regular updates,

For more information on family immigration and K-1 Fiancé(e) visas, give us a call at 214-251-8011 (Dallas, TX) or 817-332-1100 (Fort Worth, TX), or schedule your next appointment online here.