EB-2 Advanced Degree & Exceptional Ability
What is an EB-2 visa?
The EB-2 is a permanent worker visa for members of a profession with an advanced degree or exceptional ability. EB-2 visa applicants will need a labor certification unless they obtain a National Interest Waiver. The following shows brief requirements for each category:
- Advanced Degree
- Must have a U.S. academic or professional degree, or foreign equivalent degree above that of a bachelors
- Must have at least five (5) years of progressive post-baccalaureate work experience in the specialty
- Exceptional Ability
- Must show exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business
- Must meet three (3) of the criteria listed below*
- National Interest Waiver
- Must provide evidence of an advanced degree or exceptional ability
- Must meet all three (3) National Interest Waiver criteria
*Exceptional Ability criteria:
- Official academic record showing that you have a degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to your area of exceptional ability
- Letters documenting at least ten (10) years of full-time experience in your occupation
- A license to practice your profession or certification for your profession or occupation
- Evidence that you have commanded a salary or other remuneration for services that demonstrates your exceptional ability
- Membership in a professional association(s)
- Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions to your industry or field by your peers, government entities, professional or business organizations
- Other comparable evidence of eligibility is also acceptable.
Can my family accompany me?
Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may be eligible to apply for admission to the U.S. under an E-21 or E-22 immigrant status.